Containing numerous football, rugby and baseball pitches, Enfield’s King George’s Field can be found a short walk from Enfield railway station.
Named in memory of King George V, the playing fields include the Queen Elizabeth II athletics stadium and the curiously named Enfield Ignatians Rugby Club.
The fields were used as a POW camp for Italians during World War II.
On any given Saturday, there’ll be a host of amateur football and rugby matches taking place.
A lone spectator watches a game.
Clubhouse in the distance.
Football game in progress, with the winter sun casting long shadows over the leaf-strewn grass.
A modest crowd watches a rugby game in progress.
Founded in 1949 as Old Ignatians RFC, Enfield Ignatians RFC was originally for former pupils of St. Ignatius College.
Open to all-comers from 1982, the club moved to Enfield playing fields at the same time, and currently plays in the London 2 North East league [Club website].
Walking to the Queen Elizabeth II athletics stadium, where the hosts Enfield Town FC were defeated by the mighty Dulwich Hamlet in a seven goal thriller.
Evening in the park.
[Park location on Google Maps]