Located between London Bridge and Borough Market, Southwark Cathedral is a great place to pop in for a bit of peace and quiet – and admission is free.
From Wikipedia :
Southwark Cathedral or The Cathedral and Collegiate Church of St Saviour and St Mary Overie, Southwark, London, lies on the south bank of the River Thames close to London Bridge.
It is the mother church of the Anglican Diocese of Southwark. It has been a place of Christian worship for more than 1,000 years, but a cathedral only since the creation of the diocese of Southwark in 1905.
Between 1106 and 1538 it was the church of an Augustinian priory, Southwark Priory, dedicated to the Virgin Mary (St. Mary’s – over the river). Following the dissolution of the monasteries, it became a parish church, with the new dedication of St Saviour’s.
The church was in the diocese of Winchester until 1877, when the parish of St Saviour’s, along with other South London parishes, was transferred to the diocese of Rochester.
The present building retains the basic form of the Gothic structure built between 1220 and 1420, although the nave is a late 19th-century reconstruction.
New and old.
As the parish church for the Bankside area, the church had close connections with the great Elizabethan dramatists, and a statue of William Shakespeare can be seen in the garden.
Although it’s free to enter the church, you must purchase a photo permit for £2.00.
This permit includes a souvenir map highlighting the most important memorials, stained glass windows and history of the Cathedral.
There’s an alabaster statue showing Shakespeare reclining and holding a quill.
The well-patted pate of Shakespeare.
Monday – Saturday – 9.00am – 6.00pm
Sunday – 9.00am – 5.00pm