After six deaths in the space of two weeks this month, London’s cyclists are fighting back and have called a major protest to put pressure on Transport for London to make the streets safer.
This Friday, 29th November, cyclists are invited to a ‘mass cyclist die-in and vigil’ outside TfL’s HQ at The Palestra Building, 197 Blackfriars Road (opposite Southwark Tube Station), south London.
5.45-6.30 Rally and Vigil.
Here’s the cyclists’ demands:
- We need Amsterdam levels of money spent per person on London’s Cycling Safety NOW.
- Cycling Organisations need at least 2 formal Board Members on TfL Board.
- We need ALL Boroughs to be spending at least 10% of their Mayoral approved transport budgets spent on cycling infrastructure.
- We need all Borough and TfL Transport Heads qualified to deliver Dutch Style safety or be fired.
- Children, pensioners and inexperienced adults should not be forced to share space with HGVs and Buses.
- We need a FULL Integrated safely designed segregated cycle network in London within 5 years.
- ALL dangerous junctions need to be redesigned to Dutch standards ASAP.
- Ban on any vehicles whose drivers cannot see adjacent road-users
- Make Oxford Street a pedestrian/cyclling only street
- All London streets to be 20mph
- Compulsory Cycle Awareness training for all truck/bus companies operating in London
- Protection for cyclists on Left Hand Turns to become standard design at major junctions
- Filtered LHT to be legal for cyclists with top priority for pedestrians.
Join the event on Facebook: http://www.facebook.
Use the hashtag: #TfLDieIn