Lost brewery: HAMMERTON BREWERY
Stockwell Green, Stockwell, London, SW9 Location map
Stockwell's famous brewery, now lost.
Charles Hammerton & Co, Stockwell Brewery, SW9.
Breweries had been active in the Stockwell SW9 area since at least 1801 (and possibly as far back as 1730) with the local springs providing a good source of water.
Indeed, the area was named after a well, with other half coming from 'stoc', which was old English for a tree trunk or post.
A large brewery situated at the bottom of Lingham Street, the business was acquired by Charles Hammerton in the late 19th century.
Charles lived on the site with his family which went on to give their name (and finds) to the parish hall, known as Hammerton
Memorial Hall, next to St Andrew's Church.
The brewery was known for being the first in the UK to use oysters as part of the brewing process of stout in 1938.
Hammertons brewery had closed down by the 1950s, with massive redevelopment clearing away many 19th century houses and streets, to be replaced by new estates like Stockwell Gardens West.
The site then served as the Trumans Bottling Factory before being flattened for new housing in 2007.
See Flickr photoset
Back of a Hammerton Brewery playing card.
The ARP wardens illustrated date the card to the Second World War (1939-1945).
Hammertons advert published in a programme for the Brixton Theatre, 1897.
« back to Lost Pubs homepage