Then and Now: Barrington Road
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1910 Situated close to Coldharbour Lane and East Brixton railway station was the Brixton Orphanage for Fatherless Girls on 53, Barrington Road. The orphanage provided accommodation for 300 fatherless girls.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Dec 2003 Now split up into private dwellings, the building remains in immaculate condition, with barely any alterations taking place in nearly a century. The nearby East Brixton station (previously known as 'Loughborough Park') closed in 1976.
« back to history homepage next page »