Then and Now: White Horse, Brixton Hill
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c 1921 Standing on an historic pub site dating from the early 18th Century, the White Horse used to provide accommodation and stabling for travellers on the Brighton road. A billboard on the butchers shop to the left of the pub advertises 'Choicest Grass fed Lamb', while 'The Hill Garage' operates from an arch to the right.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
July 2003 The pub is still alive and well, now sporting a late licence and an outdoor drinking area. The garage is still open for business, while the butcher's shop is currently closed after serving as the 'South London Computer Exchange' for several years.
« back to history homepage next page »