Then and Now: Brixton Road by Station Rd
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c 1910 An Edwardian view of Brixton Road, close to the junction with Station Road. Businesses seem to change hands quite quickly: the former bootshop to the left of the picture has become Cooper & Son ('English Tailors') and the butchers store at 411-413 is now owned by William Haydon. The former Spiers and Pond cafe has been swallowed up by the Bon Marché cafe offering 'Refreshments, Ices, Luncheons, Teas and Suppers'. To the right, you can see part of the window display of
Landy & Berlin Tailors at No 417.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Jan 2004 Things look a little more down at heel a century later, with several 'to let' signs visible and the attractive canopy removed. The building has continued its tradition of fast-changing businesses - so much so that the signwriters can't keep up with the constant name changes!!
« back to history homepage next page »