Then and Now: Effra Road/Brixton Road
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1952 At the junction of Effra Road and Brixton Road, south-travelling trams switched from underground power to an overhead supply, a process which involved removing a 'plough' that ran underneath the tram. In the background can be seen the main Brixton Road shopping street.
(pic: R. J. S. Wiseman)
April 2003 To the left, the domed building (once a department store) has suffered the ignominious fate of being converted to a McDonalds, while recently-installed street lighting bears a strong resemblance to that of 50 years ago!
The Esso garage fell into disuse, with the semi derelict property being trashed in the 1995 Brixton riot. A garden centre briefly stood on the space before the area was incorporated into the new Windrush Square.
Happily, there's a good chance that trams may return to this scene if current transport proposals go ahead.
» History of Brixton trams, horse drawn trams and cable cars
« back to history homepage next page »