Then and Now: Loughborough Road, Brixton North
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1905 A view of the Loughborough Hotel on 39, Loughborough Road, looking east.
The mid-Victorian terraced row of houses to the right date from the 1860s, and have been renamed many times as Seymour Place, Sussex Place, Clifton Villas and Gloucester Villas.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Dec 2005 A hundred years on, the building remains more or less intact with the ground floor pub still open for business. The upstairs was used for a successful salsa club for many years.
The flagpole has vanished and the rest of the impressive structure was in the process of being converted into apartments in December, 2005.
« back to history homepage next page »