Then and Now: Marks and Spencer Penny Bazaar
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1910 From humble beginnings...
This is Marks and Spencer's original Penny Bazaar, located in Arch 574 on Brixton Station Road.
Opening in 1903, it was the company's first London store. In 1931 they relocated to more impressive premises at 448-450 Brixton Road.
To the right, you can see part of the footbridge leading up to the London & South Western Railway platforms, which provided a direct rail link to Peckham.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
July 2009 The railway footbridge disappeared with the closure of the passenger service after the First World War, and no sign remains of the original Marks and Sparks store.
The official numbering of the arches stops just short of number 574, with arches west of Pope's Rd being assigned Station Road addresses, but continuing the arch numbers makes this the original shop premises.
The arch is now home to Ashok's General Store, News Agent, Off Licence selling Tobacco and Cosmetics.
Marks and Spencers continues to thrive, with their 1931 store still serving the people of Brixton.
» Marks & Spencer, Brixton
« back to history homepage next page »