Then and Now: Mayall Road by Chaucer Road
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1912 A lone horse-drawn wagon trundles up Mayall Road (by Chaucer Road) in this view looking towards Brixton. The tall building on the left in the middle distance is the Windsor Castle pub, situated on the corner of Leeson Road
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
May 2004 The Windsor Castle pub was burnt to the ground in the 1981 Brixton Riots. By that time, the section of Mayall Road beyond the pub had already become run down and dilapidated. After the riot, the area was completely cleared and replaced by social housing. Mayall Road was truncated, thus removing its northern junction with Atlantic Road (the rather soulless stub of road remaining is now known as Marcus Garvey Way).
« back to history homepage next page »