Wallace Hughes, 464 - 470 Brixton Road
The changing face of Brixton, 1910 - 2008
(Updated © urban75, 14th Feb 2008)
Brixton was once home to several large department stores, sadly none of which survive fully intact (although a much reduced Morleys soldiers on).
According to this genealogy site, Wallace Hughes was draper in London who owned both Bon Marche and Quin & Axten."
He also "drove round London with the Hughes family crest (three crows) on his Rolls Royce and stood for Lord Mayor. Wed Lily Price. Had 3 children Hugh, Horace & Shirley."
Advert, Dec 1931
Advertisement in the Brixton Theatre pantomime programme, December 26th 1931, for the winter sale at Wallace Hughes.
This substantial drapery shop ('Brixton's Fashion Store') stood at 464 - 470 Brixton Road and 2 - 4 Tunstall Road, with a new 'Groceries and Provisions' department being advertised above.
Street scene, c. 1910.
The Wallace Hughes building is to the left of this view of Brixton Road.
Two signs for the shop ('the best value in drapery.') and a restaurant sign can be seen on the first floor of the building.
See Then & Now feature.
464, Brixton Rd, Feb 2008.
A large chunk of the terrace was destroyed during the second World War and rebult in the 50s, and a Body Shop now stands at the end of the row.
« History homepage