Then and Now: Brixton Water Lane
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1950 A number 33 tram bound for Manor House via Essex Road, turns right off Brixton Water Lane onto Effra Road. To the left can be seen the George Canning pub. Note the fish and chip shop to the right.
(pic: John H. Meredith)
April 2003 Half a century on, and the pub - now called 'The Hobgoblin' - has been considerably smartened up. Opposite, the fish and chip shop has turned into an off licence, while just off camera (to the right) there's an excellent Indian restaurant, 'Khans'.
« back to history homepage next page »