A short walk around in Brixton/Stockwell
A 1.5 mile amble around some of the lesser known streets of SW9
Photos © urban75 editor, 23rd Jan, 2008
The bizarre, futuristic creation that has replaced the much loved - and architecturally more pleasing - Queen pub on Bellefields Road/Ferndale.
Solid Victorian architecture at the end of Hargwyne Street, Stockwell.
Street detail, Hargwyne Street.
Old workshop entrance through house, Hargwyne Street.
The immaculate tiled exterior of the Marquis of Lorne pub, named after the 'courtesy title' of the heir to the dukedom of Argyll.
Above the corner entrance can be seen 'T.T.CASTLE' written in mosaic tiles - this is the name of one Theodore Townsend Castle who ran the Marquis during the 1880s.
The original tiles are in superb condition.
Another view of this beautiful old boozer.
Old grocery shop on the corner of Hargwyne Street and Burgoyne Road. Note the old 'Brooke Bond Tea' adverts still visible in the window.
Houses on Burgoyne Road suffered air-raid damage on the 23rd September 1916 after being bombed by the L.31 Zeppelin, which was one of nine airships that had crossed the British coast and reached England.
Detail from Stockwell Junior and Infants School building.
The isolated and somewhat desolate J Bar club, closed down in October 2006 after a police raid unearthed two loaded handguns and a ton o'drugs.
See J-Bar feature
Sri Lanka House, 133 Stockwell Road, formerly the Old Queens Head, built in 1852.
The pub closed years ago, with the premises being run as a club with names such as Tropical and the Zbud Bar and Brasserie.
Until fairly recently, two short lengths of rail were embedded in the cobbled drive leading into the yard. Laid in 1882, these were used by horse trams which turned off Stockwell Road into a tram shed behind the pub.
At some point, the architect of this monstrosity must have thought, "Yep! Lookin' good! That's it!"
He should have been made to live in the place.
It's less than forty years old and already looks like an eyesore.
This fragmented piece of peeling wall can be found jutting out from more modern developments on Stockwell Road.
It used to form part of an off license which caught on fire and then had the frontage removed.
The wonderful Brixton Cycles Co-Op, our favourite bike shop in London.
They used to occupy a more central location in Coldharbour Lane, with the old premises being squatted for a while in 2005.
A view of Stockwell skate park, undergoing restoration.
See 360 degree panorama
Currently flanked by Peter's Barber Shop and a mini-cab firm right next to the Astoria, the curved windows hint at a grander heritage for the entrance to the Stockwell Partnership at 205 Stockwell Road.
The building used to host the Brixtoria Ballroom Club, which was still offering 'practice and tuition' and 'private lessons' for 90 minutes at 5/- (25p) in April 1954.
Built as the Astoria cinema in 1929, and narrowly escaping being turned into a happy-clappy church in the 90s, the green-domed Academy Theatre is a Grade II listed building and one of the best concert venues in Britain.
Inside, the auditorium is based on an Italian Renaissance garden, complete with a fake villa surrounding the stage.
Decorative doors into the Academy.
Brixton police station.
See: Brixton Police station: then and now
Dover Mansions, once a major squat on Canterbury Crescent and former home to the pioneer sexologist, Havelock Ellis.
The 1859 Victorian gothic St John's Buildings in Canterbury Rd, formerly St John's school.
See: St John's School: then and now
The fabulous Canterbury Arms, home to some of our favourite nights out in Brixton!
The indescribably ugly combination of the Brixton Rec and Brixton multi-story car park, easily a strong contender for some of the worst buildings in Lambeth.
A view of Pope's Road street market
See: Pope's Road street market: then and now
Looking east along Brixton Station Road. Less than a decade ago, there would have been market stalls running along most of the length of this road.
See: Brixton Station Road: then and now
Brixton Station Road.
Looking under the bridge along Valentia Place with the Barrier Block in the distance.
Yard between the railway arches, Valentia Place.
« back to features homepage