Petts Wood Walk (part 2)
South London late summer stroll.
Click here to see the route (6.4 m/10.2k).
Photos/words © urban75, 1st September 2007.
Continuing the walk into Petts Wood and Hawkwood and Chiselhurst.
Petts Wood sign.
Passing an old cottage.
Hawkwood farm, with its delightful Gothic windows.
Checking us out.
Walking into Chiselhurst.
"Where's the bride?!!" Anxious faces at St Mary's church.
The French Emperor Napoleon III was originally buried in the graveyard in 1873. The remains were later removed to Farnborough Abbey.
Unusually, this house had a Welsh name, 'Nant Gwyn' (Nant is Welsh for stream, and Gwyn is a man's name).
Walking across the small triangle of common land between Watts Lane, School Road and Church Row.
The Crown Inn on School Road, Chiselhurst.
Stone angel carving by the entrance to ancient St Nichols Church.
The graveyard at St Nichols Church.
Former Land and Water Speed Record Holder, the Chislehurst-born Malcolm Campbell, is buried here next to his parents.
Delicate glass work inside the church's porte-cochere.
Memorial to Capt T Marsham Townshend, who 'died of wounds' on the 24th Jan, 1944.
View inside St Nichols Church.
Attractive church entrance.
'The Manor House' in Chislehurst.
Interesting half timbered house in Bull Lane, apparently originally constructed as a working mans club around the turn of the last century. Substantial funding came from a local merchant banker, Henry Frederick Tiarks.
Big road sign.
The striking architecture of the former gate house on Old Perry Street, Chislehurst. Sadly, it's surrounded by some truly hideous modern buildings.
Walking through Park Wood. There were paper signs everywhere for the 'Moated Manor site,' so we took a look.
Heading west through open countryside.
Lodge house by the entrance to Park Wood.
Memorial to Francis Edlmann who 'saved the wood' in 1927 and landowners Robert and Francesca Hall who gave the land to the National Trust in 1957.
The woodland hosts oak, birch, rowan, alder, ash, hornbeam and sweet chestnut trees.
The enormous Daylight Inn, named after local boy William Willett who campaigned for daylight saving time.
« back to homepage Scadbury Manor »