Regent's Canal walk October 2009
An autumnal stroll along the Regent's Park canal to Paddington
(Photos ©urban75, October 2009)
This is a great short London walk (around 4.8miles), starting from Central London, through Regent's Park, along the canal and westwards into Paddington.
Tennis courts in Regent's Park.
Autumn berries, Regent's Park.
Looking over the lake in Regent's Park.
The 'Longbridge' over the lake in Regent's Park.
Curious strips of paper-like material laid over the sports fields.
View from 'The Hub' a community sports centre cunningly constructed undeneath a cafe. In the distance you can see the tall outline of the BT Tower, soon to reopen as a swanky restaurant.
Along the canal
Regent's canal from Primrose Hill Bridge, looking west.
The Regent's Canal was built to link the Grand Junction Canal's Paddington Arm with the River Thames at Limehouse, and was opened in two stages, from Paddington to Camden in 1816, with the remainder following in 1820.
The canal leaves the River Thames at Brentford and climbs over fifty locks up into the Chiltern hills, before descending, then climbing again to a summit in Birmingham - a total of 137 miles and 166 locks.
Two paddlers follow a party barge with a wedding party onboard.
Lady chilling by the canal with a book. And what finer way is there to spend a leisurely Saturday afternoon?
Walking the towpath.
Passing some of the posh houses facing the canal.
The houses are beautiful and no doubt cost zillions of pounds.
London Central mosque in the distance, which is situated by Hanover Gate.
Another glorious mansion.
Under the railway bridges taking the lines into the Marylebone terminus.
Ornate entrance to barge berths.
The towpath continues along a short tunnel towards Little Venice.
The entrance to Maida Hill tunnel. There's no pedestrian access, so you have to walk up to street level and pick up the canal a few hundred metres west.
The imposing Crockers Folly pub in Aberdeen Place, currently closed.
This Grade II Edwardian listed building boasts a wonderfully ornate interior, with the entrance hall saloon constructed from over fifty different kinds of marble.
There's a great story behind the name too, with the pub bearing the name of its owner, Frank Crocker, who supposedly built the lavish pub in expectation of the rail terminus being built directly opposite.
When the railway ended up continuing on another half mile to Marylebone, the story was that he became bankrupt and threw himself from an upstairs window in despair.
It's a good story, but none of it is true!
It's a shame to see such a fine pub closed.
«back to London homepage Little Venice - Paddington basin »