This old-skool depertment store started life as a haberdashery and linen store in 1838.
Rebuilt after a huge 1892 fire, it's elaborate appearance was guaranteed by Charles Jenner who bequeathed £8,000 towards the external decorations of the new building.
The feminine figures carved into columns were intended to show symbolically that women were the support of the business.
all photos©urban75 2002
urban75 - community - action - mag - photos - tech - music - drugs - punch - football - offline club - brixton - london - new york - useless - boards - help/FAQs -
© - design - contact - sitemap - search|