Haworth Church and Graveyard
Last resting place of the Bröntes.
(Photos/words © urban75, March 2008)
Our walk took us through Haworth Church, with its attractive, tree-lined Victorian graveyard, was packed with gothic headstones and stone monuments.
Grave stones, Haworth cemetary.
Despite some head stones being well over 150 years old, the lettering is still extraordinarily sharp.
The church has been much altered over the years with the Reverend Wade demolishing all but the tower in 1879.
The lower part of the tower is the oldest original structure, dating back to the 15th century.
There's some fabulously gothic Victorian memorials to be found.
It's estimated that around 40,000 people are buried in the churchyard, with the burial registers going as far back as 1645.
The Brontës are buried in a vault inside the church (except Anne who was buried at Scarborough).
Behind the graveyard can be seen the Brontës Pasonage.
Grave stones cracked by tree growth.
« Hebden Bridge photos home Keighley and Worth valley railway »