Margate station (formerly Margate West), Kent
A splendid 1920s station built in the New Classical style
(Photos ©urban75, 29th November 2009)
Acknowledged as one of the finest New Classical railway stations in southern England, the Grade II listed Margate station was built in 1926 for the
Southern Railway by noted Architect/Engineer Edwin Maxwell Fry.
Trains first reached Margate in 1846 when the South Eastern Railway (SER) opened a line from Canterbury to Margate SER, (later Margate Sands). The London Chatham and Dover Railway (LCDR) reached Margate from Herne Bay in 1863, with trains calling at Margate West (later shortened to Margate).
Some rather less than ancient standing stones at the entrance to the station.
Panoramic view of the station. [Pic: Wikipedia]
The station has a huge booking hall with a striking curved hall (an even bigger example was erected at Ramsgate further down the line).
Detail, showing the fine clock.
The long disused parcels depot rather surprisingly remains almost completely intact, with the ornate canopy for the adjacent dock platform in good condition.
Platform view, showing the station in good repair and the wide platforms which once heaved to the crowds visiting the resort and the adjacent Dreamland amusement park.
Kentrail feature on Margate railway station
Margate railway station [Wikipedia]
«back to Kent photos homepage Broadstairs photos »