St Ives railway station: then and now
A busy scene on Monday, June 15th, 1959 [pic: C J Gammell].
Opened by the Great Western Railway on 1 June 1877 as the terminus of a 4.5 mile branch line from St Erth, the station had double track and a long sweeping single platform that could accommodate two trains at the same time.
The town end of the platform was used to load railway trucks with catches from local fishing boats, many of which drew up on Porthminster beach below the station.
Note the large curved station building, goods shed and signal box, with a small engine shed to the far left by the viaduct.
The same view forty five years later on a wet April afternoon.
The station building and ancillary buildings were flattened in the early 1970s and the track layout massively rationalised, leaving just a single line and a new, shorter single platform opening on 23 May 1971.
Inevitably, much of the station site is now taken up with a car park, but at least the line survived several threats of closure and enjoys a secure future.
St Ives view
St Ives platform
Waiting for the train platform
View from the platform
St Erth station
urban75 - community - action - mag - photos - tech - music - drugs - punch - football - offline club - brixton - london - new york - useless - boards - help/FAQs -
© - design - contact - sitemap - search|