Boats and ropes
The harbour may be predominantly full of small pleasure boats these days, but in the 16th century St Ives was the chief port of departure in the west for passage to Ireland.
In fact, it is only in comparatively recent times that it has ceased to be an important seaport.
In 1847 the port was bustling with 400 boats and 735 men employed by the pilchard fisheries, with a slow decline taking place in the 30s and 40s and the last pilchard cellar in St Ives being cleared out in 1969.
urban75 - community - action - mag - photos - tech - music - drugs - punch - football - offline club - brixton - london - new york - useless - boards - help/FAQs -
© - design - contact - sitemap - search|