The historical harbour of Portreath started life in 1760 as an outlet for the mining industry, with its 'Welsh Fleet' regularly exporting rich copper ore destined for the smelting furnaces of Swansea.
The ships then returned laden with Welsh coal for the steam-powered beam engines used in the local tin and copper mines.
Sadly, Portreath's days of greatness are long over, and the village has returned to a quiet life with a splendid beach and a rather tatty offering of tourist facilities.
» See panorama
urban75 - community - action - mag - photos - tech - music - drugs - punch - football - offline club - brixton - london - new york - useless - boards - help/FAQs -
© - design - contact - sitemap - search|