Southwold scenes (part two)
More photos from around the delightful town of Southwold, Suffolk
(Photos/words © urban75, May 2007)
More photographs taken around a decidedly chilly Southwold.
The Southwold School of Industrial Art started life in 1882 when an Arthur Flower began a self-financed woodcarving evening class to entertain fishermen during the long winter evenings.
A roaring success, this dedicated studio in Southwold's Park Lane was built in 1894 and features elaborately carved beams made by the students.
Closing with the onset of war in 1914, the building later served as a tea shop and latterly as a private residence.
Old industrial building next to 'Ginger's House' in Southwold.
South Green view.
After a fire destroyed most of the town in 1659, a large number of green spaces were created within the town and these open spaces survive today, giving the town a very spacious feel.
See South Green panorama
The Lord Nelson, which rapidly became our favourite pub in Southwold.
Outside the 1864 Southwold Sailors' Reading Room, with the rudder of the beach yarl. 'Bittern' outside.
Grand Regency and Georgian houses overlooking the sea.
Another view of the lighthouse.
Ornate cast iron sign of the Crown Hotel.
Sole Bay Inn, situated opposite the Adnams brewery.
Evening view of Southwold.
Deserted beach, 8pm.
Looking towards Southwold pier.
Close up of the pier at dusk.
At times, it really felt like I'd gone back in time - there were barely any cars around (hurray!) and the unspoiled architecture, subdued street lighting - and the ruddy great lighthouse - gave the town an authentic Victorian ambience.
Town Hall. The annual switching-on of the Christmas lights by Father Christmas takes place on the first Friday of December from the balcony above.
The upmarket Swan Hotel.
The six eighteen-pounder cannons on Gun Hill commemorate the 1672 Battle of Sole Bay between the English and French fleets against the Dutch. They were nicked from the Scots after the battle of Culloden and given to the town by the Duke of Cumberland.
Despite the ancient cannons being filled with concrete and unable to fire, Southwold was designated a 'fortified town' during WW2 and found itself on the receiving end of many German bombing raids.
A lone walker on the Southwold beach.
Southwold is stuffed full of Georgian architecture.
Formerly a sweet shop, John Bennett's architecture practice has been tastefully developed. The company designed the fabulous Electric Picture Palace.
A look inside. Hello O!
There is an adventurous plan afoot to rebuild the Halesworth-Southwold narrow gauge railway line, although it is facing some local opposition ("it'll bring in the hoi polloi!"). We wish them the best.
« Suffolk photos home Southwold harbour »