Cilgerran Castle, Pembrokeshire
A short tour of a west Wales market town
(Photos © urban75, June 2009)
Situated 3 miles south of Cardigan, in the attractive village of Cilgerran, the castle stands on a craggy promontory overlooking the point where the Plysgog stream joins the river Teifi,.
With the river at its tidal limit, the castle was perfectly poised to control a natural crossing point and any seagoing ships.
The castlewales site notes:
"We cannot be sure when this strong site was first fortified. It may be the same time as a Norman castle called 'Cenarth Bychan' from which we know, Nest, the spirited and beautiful wife of the Norman lord, Gerald of Windsor, ran off with Owain, son of the prince of Powys during a Welsh attack in 1109.
Cilgerran is first mentioned by name in 1164, when the Lord Rhys captured the castle here. It was retaken by William Marshal, earl of Pembroke, in 1204, only to be taken again by the Welsh during Llywelyn the Great's campaigns in 1215. However, eight years later, William's son, another William, regained control, and it was probably he who built the imposing masonry castle we see today. "
Entrance to the castle, now owned by the National Trust.
View from the tower.
Rain weathered stone.
19th century graffiti.
View of the inner ward, west tower, and inner gatehouse.
Modern walkway across one of the towers.
« Wales photos home Fforest campsite »