Day Two: into Llangollen town
We visit the ancient market town of Llangollen
(Photos © urban75, November 2008)
This ancient Welsh town takes its name from Saint Collen, a seventh century saint, and became important because of its prominent position on the main London to Holyhead coaching road.
The road was improved by Thomas Telford from 1815, and was followed by the canal and then the railway in 1862.
From 1780 - 1829, residents Lady Eleanor Butler and Miss Sarah Ponsonby gained a sort of respectable notoriety.
The lesbian couple, known as The Ladies of Llangollen became the toast of Regency society, with the likes of Wordsworth and the Duke of Wellington calling upon them.
The town now attracts thousands of visitors every year in July each year when it hosts the Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod.
Looking towards the unlikely location of the Blue Bay launderette (white sign to the right) and the Hand Hotel (far right).
Old bank, Llangollen.
Fine old Rehoboth Calvinistic Methodist Chapel in Llangollen. The stone above the windows is inscribed with, 'Rehoboth. Erected 1838, Enlarged 1874'.
Old police station.
Heading towards the bridge across Berwyn Street.
Cottage Cream'n'Candy tourist shop.
Tourist shop with improbably long name.
The old Water Mill opposite the Railway Station.
View from the bridge
Llangollen railway station.
The line from Ruabon to Barmouth opened in 1862, and at one time it was possible to get a direct train to London from this pleasant station.
The Railway closed to passenger traffic in 1965, with goods following in 1968. Happily, the Llangollen Railway Society fought to reopen the line, with a short 60ft section carrying passengers in September 1975.
The line, now expanded to nearly eight miles in length, runs regular steam trains and has ambitious plans to expand.
Although it looks like express trains should come charging into view, the line actually stops dead under the bridge.
The famous Dee Bridge, was built by Bishop Trevor of Trevor Hall in 1345. Now a scheduled ancient monument, it was widened in the 1960s to accommodate modern traffic.
A quick stop off for a pint and a game of pool.
Welsh language postcards.
Cottage Tea Rooms, Llangollen.
Gwyn Davies, Siop Cigydd, Llangollen.
Welsh Lovespoon centre.
« Wales photos home Llwynmawr to Springhill farm walk »