Landmark church on Cardiff's waterfront
(Photos © Mike Slocombe)
Built in 1868 as a place of worship for the large number of Norwegian sailors and seamen who sailed into Cardiff, the original church was located a mile from its current position.
In 1987, the building was dismantled and then moved, piece by piece, to its new location where it now houses a coffee shop and art gallery
The Church is also noted for being the place where the famous children's author, Roald Dahl, was christened in 1916.
Walking to the Norwegian Church on a crisp February afternoon (2004).
Boats passing the church [Aug 2004]
Outside the Norwegian Church is this rather chilly looking Memorial to the Antartic explorer, Scott (his last ill-fated expedition set sail from Cardiff).
The sculpture - made up of thousands of tiny mosaic pieces - was designed by Cardiff-based sculptor Jonathon Williams and shows Scott man-hauling towards the pole with the faces of his team trapped in the ice. [Aug 2006]
Inside the church, with a Norwegian flag to the left. [Aug 2006]
Services ran until as late as 1974 in the church. [Aug 2006]
Another view of the church. [Aug 2006]