Roath Park, Cardiff
Late Victorian boating lake in the heart of Cardiff
(Photos © Mike Slocombe, Sept 2006)
Opened at the end of the Victorian era in 1894, the park was the result of seven years work to transform what was marshy bog-land into 130 acres of parkland.
The land was donated to the Cardiff Corporation by the Marquis of Bute, and now features a 16-hectare/ 40-acre boating lake, rose and dahlia gardens, a sub-tropical greenhouse, a playground and cafe.
The lake is about a mile in circumference, so it's perfect for a Sunday afternoon, post-club stroll.
Roath Park lake features four artificial islands which provide a haven for birds and other wildlife- look out for cormorants roosting on the islands' trees.
A view across the lake. The 1915 lighthouse is a tribute to Captain Scott who departed on his ill-fated voyage to the Antarctic from Cardiff.
Roath Park is popular with boaters and anglers.
The Botanic Gardens feature a large Rose Garden, conservatory and playground, set against a backdrop of lawns and conifers enclosed by shrub and herbaceous borders.
In the northernmost part of the park, the Wild Gardens host a variety of native and exotic trees, while the Pleasure Gardens offers two bowling greens and five tennis courts, with a feast of horticultural delights (if you're into that kind of thing).
Inside the tropical conservatory.
A lone couple brave the inclement weather in this 2002 view of the Scott memorial.