Whitby to Scarborough old railway walk
We hire some bikes and hurtle along the old coastal railway line
(Photos © urban75, June 2010)
For walkers and cyclists, the old Whitby to Scarborough old coastal railway cindertrack is a great resource which follows the route of the old railway through some delightful countryside.
Now home to the Trailways bike hire company, Hawsker's station buildings remain remarkably intact.
Freight facilities were withdrawn from the station on 4th May 1964, three months before all freight service along the line ended on 10th August 1964.
Passenger services followed with complete closure on the 8th March 1965.
The old station is a fair walk from Whitby town - the best way to get there is to pick up the old line from south of the town as it crosses the River Esk.
The main station building survives as a private residence and guest house, with railway carriages parked in the platform and adjacent goods bay used for holiday accommodation and the cycle hire business.
The carriage closest to the camera is used as an office and store for Trailways, while the other two carriages are used as 'camping coaches.'
Hybrid bikes hired and we're on our way!
Passing the station.
The trailway runs along the old Scarborough & Whitby Railway line, passing under several bridges.
We had to wait as a procession of vintage tractors roared by.
Being a railway line, the gradients weren't steep, but some were very insistent, with long uphill stretches being rewarded with fabulous freewheeling spells.
The old trackbed hugs the coastline affording some fabulous views of the North Sea.
We can't imagine what Beeching was thinking when he put the death sentence on such a scenic line linking two hugely popular seaside resorts.
The old station at Robin Hood's Bay.
The station as it looked in 1904.
All the main station buildings appear to be in excellent condition, including what looks like the old coal merchant's office, with the old signal box behind.
The surface of the trackbed varies considerably, but generally it's a little bumpy and rough, so you'll need a hybrid or a mountain bike for a comfortable ride - especially in the winter.
Flying Hall station house.
The remote station opened in July 1885, only to close in December 1915 as an economy measure during WW1.
reopened in September 1920, but with little traffic became an an unstaffed halt before final closure.
Old station bench at Fyling Hall.
Remains of the old platform.
Climbing towards Ravenscar.
Looking back at Robin's Hood Bay.
Old sleepers still in situ, near Ravenscar.
« Yorkshire photos home Ravenscar tunnel and Larpool Viaduct »