Olympic walk: Counter Cafe, Autumn St and St Clement's Hospital (part 4)
A coffee and biscuit before heading home
(Photos/words © urban75, 28th August, 2010)
Our last part of the journey sees us grabbing a lovely cup of coffee before heading back to Mile End, past a disused railway station.
Monier Road scene.
We stopped off at the Counter cafe, a lovely little coffee house at 4a Roach Rd, Hackney Wick.
It's not an easy place to find, but the excellent coffee is well worth the extra effort.
Derelict buildings on Wick Lane.
The charmingly named Autumn Street.
Sadly, the road doesn't live up to its name.
Another view of Autumn Street. It's not very nice is it?
Crossing the Blackwell Tunnel Northern Approach. It's not a pretty sight.
The site of the old Coborn Road railway station, built by the Great Eastern Railway on the main line out of London from Liverpool Street. Opened in 1865 to serve the surrounding Bow area, the station closed permanently in 1946.
Coborn Road old railway station entrance.
Disused St Clements hospital.
Built as a workhouse for the Board of Guardians of the City of London Union in 1849, this attractive building became an infirmary for the CLU in 1874, and in 1912 the Bow Institution for the long-term sick.
In 1936 it became a psychiatric unit, under the St Clements name again before becoming part of the London Hospital in 1968, and finally closing in 2005.
Now owned by the Homes & Communities Agency, 275 new dwellings are expected to be built on the site, with local campaigners advocating that it should become the site of the UK's first urban Community Land Trust.
The hospital's ornate gates.
Delightful Italiante tower.
Graffiti on hospital walls.
Canary Wharf looms large over Brokesley Street, Mile End, E3.
Mile End tube station, ready to head home. The unusual open four platform layout is rather reminiscent of New York's subways.
« Walks home Coborn Road railway station, E3 »