A trip to Dulwich
We take a stroll around Dulwich Village and East Dulwich
(Photos/words © urban75, July 2007)
Entering East Dulwich from nearby Brixton is like entering a different universe, as the inner city grime and graffiti gives way to a quaint village charm and beautiful architecture.
Leaving Brixton and heading up Herne Hill Road and on to the evocatively named Red Post Hill.
Carnegie Library, half way up Herne Hill Road.
The architectural splendour of the well preserved 'hybrid Romanesque' North Dulwich railway station.
The Grade II-listed train station was designed by Charles Barry Jnr and built in 1866 by the London and Brighton Railway.
A view of St Barnabas Parish Hall.
The attractive Victorian lines of the Dulwich Hamlet Junior School.
We don't get these fancy signposts in Brixton.
The imposing Crown & Greyhound pub in Dulwich Village.
Ornate wrought iron gate at the entrance to the College and Almshouses. The arch is inscribed with the words, 'God's Gift.'
Path towards the tower of the original Dulwich College, founded in 1619 by Elizabethan actor Edward Alleyn. Roundhead soldiers were quartered at the College during the Civil War.
The college moved to a vastly bigger site in - appropriately enough - College Road in 1870, but the Almshouses remain in use.
Inscription dated 1619 on the tower.
A view of the lawn, flanked by the almhouses.
The Almshouses, Dulwich.
Rather lively statue of college founder Edward Alleyn.
Faux half timbered house at the entrance to Dulwich Park
Lost cap, Dulwich Park.
A view of Dulwich Picture Gallery, opened to the public in 1817
The mausoleum design by Sir John Soanes inspired Giles Gilbert Scott's famous red K2 telephone box (you can see the similarities with the structure at the very top of the building).
Another view of the college.
Railway coat of arms on road bridge.