Greenwich Royal Naval College, Food Market and town
A Saturday stroll around the sights of Greenwich
(Photos © urban75, Saturday 28th June 2008)
A former drinking haunt of William Gladstone and Charles Dickens, the Trafalgar Tavern was built on the site of the Old George Inn in 1837.
The late Regency pub sports attractive bay windows with elegant balconies and columns.
A look east towards the Millennium Dome (now The O2) from Greenwich.
The impressive facades of the Royal Naval College, Greenwich, which is now known as the Old Royal Naval College.
The site was used as a Royal Navy training establishment between 1873 and 1998, after which The Greenwich Foundation charity signed a 150-year lease to look after the buildings and surrounding grounds for the benefit of the nation.
The Queen Anne, Queen Mary and King William courts are now occupied by the University of Greenwich with the Trinity School of Music based in King Charles court.
The Greenwich Foundation looks after the Painted Hall and the Chapel, the related undercrofts, the Visitor Centre and the grounds.
Picnicking on the lawn.
Formerly occupied by the pre-Tudor 'Palace at Greenwich' of 1428, the current buildings were planned by Sir Christopher Wren with various big name architects like Hawksmoor, Vanbrugh and James 'Athenian' Stuart completing the job during the first half of the eighteenth century .
Gentleman in a white hat.
Not suprisingly, these dramatic Baroque buildings have featured regularly in films and TV programmes including Patriot Games, the BBC's spy-drama Spooks and David Cronenberg's Eastern Promises.
Posing for a picture.
Built for charitable public purpose rather than to glorify personal status, the Old Royal Naval College was established by Royal Charter in 1694 for the 'relief and support of seamen and their dependents'.
The buildings are now Grade I listed and form the centre of the Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site.
Facing the Thames.
Admiring the view.
The temporary 60m high Greenwich Wheel in front of the Pepy's Building Visitor Centre stands taller than Nelson's Column and offers panoramic views across London.
Big wheels and the Greenwich peninsular go back quite a way, with The Great Wheel for the 1895 Earl's Court Exhibition being built here by Maudslay, Son and Field - the same dudes who made the first public time ball - the bright red ball on top of Flamsteed House at the Royal Observatory nearby.
Hungry from our stroll down from the Millennium Dome, we hit Greenwich Food market for some fine cheeses and bread.
Greenwich Church St.
« London homepage Greenwich Park & Royal Observatory »