Return to St Pancras
A walk around the renovated station
(Photos © urban75, Feb 2008)
After a £800m restoration project (completed in November 2007), St Pancras International is now being promoted as a stylish shopping destination, offering upmarket shops, the longest champagne bar in Europe and a regular farmer's market.
The fairytale spires of the Gilbert Scott-designed St Pancras Hotel are currently being converted into a 5 star luxury hotel.
A view from the shopping 'undercroft' area of the refurbished station, which contains most of the retail space and all the Eurostar check-in facilities and departure lounge.
Poet laureate John Betjeman is honoured with a statue in recognition of his campaigning work to save the building after it was threatened with demolition in the 1960s.
Built in 1868 and engineered by W. H. Barlow, the enormous Gothic shaped roof is 243 ft. wide and 600 ft. long, with the point of the arch standing 100 ft. above rail level. When it was built, it was the largest enclosed space in the world.
Now restored to its original blue colour it looks magnificent.
Standing 9 metres high, this 20 tonne bronze statue can be found at the south end of the upper level of the station.
Named 'The Meeting Place' and designed by British artist Paul Day, the massive sculpture is designed to evoke the romance of travel, but it's received something of a mixed reception from the public.
Photographing John Betjeman.
Waiting train, champagne bar and undercroft retail area.
The champagne bar runs for 90m.
Looking north, with the flat-roofed station train shed extension ahead.
Looking south, with the station clock visible. The clock was reconstructed by the original makers Dent.
« back to homepage St Pancras homepage »