Sited by the confluence of the River Thames and Bow Creek at Leamouth in London's Docklands is the regenerated Trinity Buoy Wharf, now billed as 'a site for artistic and cultural activities'.
Two hundred years ago the site was used by The Elder Brethren of Trinity House, with the seawall being reconstructed in 1822. The site operated as a maintenance depot and storage facility for the many buoys that aided navigation on the Thames, with the wharf being used for the repair of lightships.
The wharf also housed London's only lighthouse, with the original building being built by the engineer of Trinity House, James Walker, in 1852. Although that was demolished in the late 1920s, another lighthouse survives on the site, built in 1864-6 and used for lighting trials for Trinity House's lights around England & Wales and training prospective lighthouse keepers.
The decline of London's docks saw the Corporation of Trinity House closing the wharf in December 1988, and the area was acquired by the London Docklands Development Corporation.
Ten years later, Urban Space Holdings Ltd took control of the site on a long lease charged with developing a centre for the arts and cultural activities.
Entrance to Trinity Buoy Wharf.
Totem pole (aka an old painted telegraph pole!).
We stopped off for lunch at the Fatboy's Diner. There's a suitably US-style menu on offer, including 'Fatburgers', all American Breakfasts, omelettes and sandwiches.
I scoffed a rather tasty veggieburger.
The diner was built in 1941 and was originally located at River Road, along the banks of the Susquehana River, north of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. It moved to Maine for restoration in 1990 before being shipped to London.
It was previously situated in the City before moving to Trinity Buoy Wharf.
Old fashioned table jukebox.
Throughout the twentieth century, the Wharf was responsible for supplying and maintaining navigation buoys and lightships between Southwold in Suffolk and Dungeness in Kent - this one of two lightships on the site.
The Coca Cola sign belongs to the diner.
The second lightship, also painted in a distinctive red finish.
Looking across the Thames at the Millennium Dome (currently known as The O2).
Old crane tracks. In 1910, Trinity Buoy Wharf was a major local employer, with some 150 engineers, platers, riveters, pattern makers, blacksmith, tinsmiths, carpenters, painters, chain testers and labourers working around the wharf.
The famous scientist Michael Faraday - who contributed to the fields of electromagnetism and electrochemistry - carried out experiments on the site.