Royal Festival Hall and London Eye, South Bank
A central element of the 1951 Festival of Britain (billed as a 'Tonic to the Nation' after the ravages of the Second World War), this 2,900 seater concert hall was opened on 3 May 1951.
The area between Waterloo and Hungerford railway bridge had long been associated with London's working river, but after receiving major damage during the war, much of the area fell derelict.
The Festival development also involved reclaiming land from the Thames, the construction of a new river wall and walkway and the demolition of the famous Lion Brewery.
urban75 - community - action - mag - photos - tech - music - drugs - punch - football - offline club - brixton - london - new york - useless - boards - help/FAQs -
© - design - contact - sitemap - search|