Dunwich St James church, Suffolk
The last of Dunwich's nine churches
(Photos/words © urban75, May 2007)
With its last remaining medieval church fast crumbling into the sea, Dunwich found itself without a parish church for 60 years until St James's church was built in 1830.
Originally designed in the classical style with a low tower and domed top, the Victorians couldn't resist fiddling about, adding a square tower and cladding the arched windows with flint fifteen years later.
Elegantly carved wooden gate.
Next to the church are the remains of the 800 year old Leper Hospital of St James.
Unusual cast iron memorial in the churchyard, dedicated to Francis Robinson, Cliff House, Dunwich, who died in 1843 at the grand old age of 91 years old.
Detail of carvings on wooden gate.
« Suffolk photos home St Edmunds Church, Southwold »