Cardiff's Café Quarter
A look around The Hayes and the ever-lovely Caroline Street.
(Words/photos © urban75, March 2007)
A short shufti around the newly branded 'Cafe Quarter' in south central Cardiff, an area that has seen massive regeneration in the last ten years.
Dorothy's Fish and Chip bar on Cardiff's famous late night eating/falling over/puking up strip, Caroline Street now - apparently - part of the 'cafe quarter' (the what?!).
Although the street can still get a little racy at 2am on a weekend, it's been transformed from the dark days of the 70s and 80s when when a packet of chips and a punch in the face seemed to be on many people's menus.
Looking up Caroline Street from St Mary Street.
Get your chicken curry off the bone!
Looking down Caroline Street from The Hayes. The Kings Cross is one of Cardiff's longest serving gay pubs and was also popular with punks back in the late 70s. It's a good pub, whatever your sexual orientation.
Work underway on the massive 'St David's 2' redevelopment, a £675m investment encompassing the old David Morgan building, Central Library and bolting on the inevitable luxury apartments.
Redevelopment, Hayes Bridge Road.
There's not too many presents left in this shop.
Inside the 1899 Morgan Arcade, currently being renovated. With over half a dozen delightful Victorian arcades in its town centre, Cardiff is apparently known as the 'City of Arcades.'
Morgan Arcade detail.
Morgan Arcade bookstore.
Plan Cafe in Morgan Arcade - one of our favourites!
Checking out the Telynau Vining Harps in High Street Arcade, Cardiff.
Statue of John Batchelor (1820-83) 'The Friend of Freedom,' in The Hayes. Created by the sculptor James Milo Griffith and unveiled on 16 October 1886, the statue commemorates the work of the Newport-born, Cardiff based Liberal politician who campaigned against slavery.
Batchelor's political activities meant that he was constantly rubbing up the all-powerful Bute family, so much so that a petition of 1,200 names was raised in opposition to the statue after his death in 1883.
Inside the 1847 Wyndham Arcade, with a deserted Servinis Snack Bar to the right and Baileys Arny and Navy stores opposite.
« back to Wales photo homepage City photos »