Then and Now: Barnwell Road
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1910 A view looking north east along Barnwell Road, Brixton, by the junction with Dalberg Road. Note the group of boys outside Miss M.E.Smith's Newsagency on the right. Further down the road to the left can be seen a shop housed in an angled, three-storey building.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
May 2004 The row of trees on the left hand side of Barnwell Road have grown so much over the past century that they almost completely obliterate the view! Obscured behind the foliage is an old people's home which replaced the Victorian terrace, and the shop in the middle distance (obscured) is now a private residence. The shop and row of houses on the right have been replaced by a block of GLC flats.
« back to history homepage next page »