Then and Now: East Brixton station
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c1912 A rare view of the elusive East Brixton railway station, taken from the corner of Coldharbour Lane and Loughborough Park (now Moorlands Road). The two bridges span Barrington Road. The original print is in very poor condition, but you can still make out the elevated station buildings, twin signals and electrification gantry above the bridge. The line was the first surface-level railway line to be electrified in 1909, drawing the current from 6,600 volt overhead cables.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Dec 2003 East Brixton station closed in 1976 and Brixton remains without access to this useful railway line - despite the promises made by the Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone in late 2003 (it was proposed that the disused platforms at Brixton station could be reopened to serve this line) . Nothing now remains of the station's platforms or buildings - in fact it's almost impossible to find a single trace of the station! The arches next to the old station entrance now host 'Medusa', a small nightclub.
» See East Brixton station feature
« back to history homepage next page »