Then and Now: Fire Station, Gresham Road
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1908 Built on the site of St Catherine's Church, this impressively proportioned building on the corner of Gresham Road and Station Road (by Coldharbour Lane) replaced the earlier station in Ferndale Road. Note the horse-drawn fire engines outside the station.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Dec 2003 The fire station is still in use and in excellent condition, although it's hard to see too much of the building with a great big tree stuck in front of it! The Victorian terraced houses to the right have all vanished, with some of the adjacent land being used as a yard for the fire station.
« back to history homepage next page »