Hythe, south coast of Kent
A few hours in an old Cinque Port town
Photos and report by Mike Slocombe, July 2006
Sitting on the edge of Romney Marsh, Hythe is a small coastal market town in the District of Shepway.
One of the original Cinque Ports of England, silting over the years has removed all treace of its once-thriving port and harbour.
With its High Street featuring an attractive mix of Medieval and Georgian buildings, it's a pretty place to visit for a day out.
Cycling into Hythe from Folkestone.
Built as a defence against a threatened French invasion during the Napoleonic wars (1804–15), the old Royal Military canal is 30 ft (10m) wide moat that passes through the middle of the town.
Hythe High Street views.
Several independent shops were closing on the High Street.
Ornate Victorian public drinking fountain donated by Thomas Judge, 1886.
Napoleonic terraced cottages on Military Road, Hythe.
Cycling back to Folkestone!