Hyde Park is still illuminated by gas lighting, adding a beautiful warm glow to late night walks through the largest of the capital’s four Royal Parks.
Here’s a series of photos taken during a recent autumnal stroll through the park.
Changing the gas mantle in the lamp.
The Serpentine at night.
A 40-acre recreational lake, it was created in 1730 at the behest of Queen Caroline.
South Carriage Drive.
Join the discussion
- London: two centuries of gas lighting.
- The wonderful gas lamps of Hyde Park, London
- Green Park to Hyde Park and the Serpentine, late summer 2018
- A busy Speakers’ Corner, Hyde Park, on a wet Sunday
- Remembering 7/7: the Hyde Park memorial to the fallen
- Green Park and Hyde Park in the snow, London, Dec 2010