Then and Now: Trinity Asylum for Aged Persons
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1898 A view of the Trinity Asylum for Aged Persons, Acre Lane, by central Brixton. The asylum was founded and endowed by Thomas Bayley, Esq (a china and glass manufacturer in the City of London and a Brixton resident) in 1824 for '12 poor women who professed belief in the Holy Trinity'. The building comprised of 'sixteen neat tenements' and gave its name to the nearby Trinity Square, built in 1850. Note the tall chimney to the right and the ornate gates and gas lamp.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Jan 2004 In accordance with Thomas Bayley's wishes, the building still provides separate homes for elderly women. Structurally, very little has changed over the years, although the building is now called 'Trinity Homes'.
« back to history homepage next page »