Then and Now: Bon Marche, Ferndale Rd
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
This impressive building was opened in 1905 as an extension to the sprawling Bon Marché empire (which was already employing over 400 people in 1888).
Bon Marché's first store opened in Brixton in 1877, the first purpose built department store in the country.
» See 1924 advert.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Bon Marché finally ceased trading in 1975 and the building has been converted to offices and business use.
The ground floor has been substantially altered and now serves as a Post Office.
(Unfortunately, it's not currently possible to match the elevated viewpoint of the original photo).
« back to history homepage next page »