Then and Now: Herne Hill railway station
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1910 Horse drawn hansom cabs line up outside Herne Hill railway station, an 1862 Venetian Gothic structure built by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway. The station featured in 'The Odd Women', an 1893 novel by George Gissing, a popular Victorian author. To the left (behind the station) is a building housing 'The Universal Stores', 'G J Cockerell & Co Tailors' and 'Pullen's Dining Rooms'.
(pic: Brixton Society)
April 2003 Amazingly, the large station survived the ravages of Dr Beeching's railway rationalisation program of the early 1960s and remains almost entirely intact. It's even got staff! The Edwardian buildings to the right have now been replaced by a truly ghastly 1960s construction, devoid of any architectural merit.
« back to history homepage next page »