Then and Now: Herne Hill railway station
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1921 Herne Hill station was built by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway in 1862 and provided connections to both the West End and the City. The white-faced building (nearest to the camera on the left) is the Cinema Grand, opened just before the First World War.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
May 2003 Eighty years on and much of the scene remains unchanged, although the Cinema Grand is no longer with us. The area around the station remains a bustling one, with a host of pubs, bars and restaurants nearby.
« back to history homepage next page »