Petts Wood walk - Scadbury Manor
Derelict moated Tudor manor house.
Click here to see the route (6.4 m/10.2k).
Photos/words © urban75, 1st September 2007.
The ruins of the moated Tudor manor house, Scadbury Manor, lie on the eastern edge of Chislehurst, at the top of a slope overlooking the valley of the River Cray.
The Orpington and District Archaeological Society (ODAS) are charged with undertaking archaeological excavations
and maintaining the site.
Sadly, a botched up restoration job in the early 20th century by the Marsham-Townshend family severely reduced its archaeological significance, but it's still worth a visit.
The Society open up the site to the public for one weekend every year, and by a happy coincidence, that was the weekend we were walking by!
Looking across the moat to the site of the Manor House.
Most of the walls visible in the photo were built in the 1930s by Hugh Marsham-Townshend on top of the original foundations.
Members of the Orpington and District Archaeological Society at work.
The columns, fireplace and staircase are the remains of Marsham-Townshend's mainly wooden reconstruction of the great hall.
The Tudor 'undercroft' or cellar. Although restored, it still retains its original barrel-vaulted roof.
Small information stall on the site of the great hall.
The remains of Marsham-Townshend's spiral stairs.
You'll note that the organisers were very keen on red tape. And signs.
Another view of the cellar facing on to the moat.
'No Entry' to the farm.
A very curious collection of upturned orange buckets marks the site of the East Wing of the Scadbury Park Mansion (1550-1984).
Old tomato boxes being used to store archaeological finds.
Seats by the cafe. We had a lovely cup of tea and cake here.
Signs by the cafe entrance.
Another sign next to a boat in the hay shed.
More red tape.
A last look before we continued our walk back to the station.
« back to homepage Petts Wood Walk »