Coryton Station, Coryton Branch Line, Cardiff, south Wales
Report by urban75 editor, March 2007
For fans of terminuses with exciting architecture and complicated track layouts, the disappointment's don't come much bigger than lowly, Coryton which offers a short, single platform and a small shelter.
Of course, the station wasn't designed to be the end of the line, which originally ran up past Tongwynlais and then on Treforest.
A small crowd gathers at Coryton in May 1955, in this view looking towards Whitchurch and Rhiwbina.
Like Rhiwbina Halt, the station facilities come in the shape of a GWR pagoda-style hut, what looks like a single gas lamp and precious little else. There doesn't even seem to be a nameboard!
Another 1955 view, showing a short passenger auto-train, hauled by an ex-GWR 0-6-0 pannier tank.
Auto-trains ('push-pull trains') were designed to remove the need for engines to 'run around' their trains at terminus stations.
A driver's compartment in the last passenger coach at the end of the train would let the driver control the train via pulleys, with the fireman working the locomotive.
August 2007 view from a similar angle.
Older passenger coaches weren't fitted with the necessary equipment for auto working, so here a GWR 0-6-2 Prairie tank locomotive uses the short runaround loop at Coryton (1955).
The headshunt for passing loop extended for a short way beneath the road bridge.
End of the line, Coryton Halt, January 2007.
Looking under the old bridge, January 2007.
December 2008 view. Will this line ever be extended to Radyr?
Cardiff train. December 2008.