Whitchurch Station, Coryton Branch Line, Cardiff, south Wales
Report by urban75 editor, Oct 2005, updated Aug, 2007.
Now the penultimate halt before the terminus at Coryton, Whitchurch station was once a substantial station, sporting two platforms, a signal box and a goods yard.
In this 1948 photo, an ex-GWR 0-6-0 Pannier Tank hauls a passenger train made of up mixed coaches towards Cardiff.
Looking east from the road bridge towards Rhiwbina and the junction with the ex-Rhymney Railway main line at Heath, March 1956.
Note the single-story, canopied brick station building to the right and the large goods shed in the background.
Similar view on a rainy August afternoon, 2007. The remaining platform in use has been considerably reduced in length.
A view of the main station building on the south side of the station.
The withdrawal of the goods service and singling of the line resulted in most of the station site being flatttened, with a block of flats being built on the site of the station building.
The goods yard was used for housing and a small row of garages was constructed on top of the southern platform.
On the northern platform, the original small brick building has been replaced by a small, basic shelter.
Whitchurch Station now serves as an unremarkable, unstaffed, single-track halt offering regular passenger services to central Cardiff and Barry.
Whitchurch Station in 1958.
Part of the old down platform remains in situ, with garages built along its length.