Small halt on the Coryton Branch Line, Cardiff, south Wales
(Report ©urban75, updated Nov 2009)
Rhiwbina Halt is a small, unstaffed station on the single track line running from Heath junction to Coryton, north Cardiff.
The line carries no freight, but serves commuters and residents with regular services to central Cardiff and Barry.
The old late night railway specials that used to run from Ninian Park in the 1970s were unforgettable, passing by in a blur of ejected seats, broken windows, flailing toilet rolls and exploding light bulbs, as the local hoolies rampaged.
Rhiwbina Halt. Business looks brisk as commuters disembark an early evening train from Cardiff in the 1930s.
Note the GWR 'Pagoda' style waiting room - this unusual style of corrugated iron construction was used in many of the company's minor stations.
The same view taken in August, 2005, showing the single platform remaining.
[pic: Steve Nicholas]
Rhiwbina Halt, 1969. Note the original GWR wooden sign with cast iron letters. The station was still painted the traditional 'chocolate and cream' colour scheme.
Two coach passenger train hauled by a ex-GWR 2-6-2 Prairie tank steam engine departs Rhiwbina Halt headed for Cardiff in 1957.
Reverse angle shot looking under Rhiwbina Halt footbridge towards Cardiff. Note the poor condition of the trackbed, which is covered in weeds.
1989 view of the station, with its 'bus shelter' waiting room visible.
Rhiwbina Halt sign.
Looking west towards Cortyton halt, December 2008.
Looking east, showing the metal and glass waiting room, with the original footbridge in the background, December 2008.
Annual rail passenger usage appears buoyant at Rhiwbina, with the Office of Rail Regulation statistics reporting these figures: 2004/05 -26,977, 2005/06 - 20,857, 2006/07 - 26,700 and 2007/08 - 26,953