Then and Now: 107 Brixton Hill
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1910 The staff of Mrs A Clements, family butchers, pose outside their premises at 107, Brixton Hill. This image is from the 1910 Lambeth Guide which advertises the butcher's 'Prime English and Colonial Meat', offering a 'constant supply of the freshest and finest meat procurable'. Note the large overhanging gas lamps.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Feb 2004 The gas lamps have long gone and the street clutter has increased with bins and road signs obscuring the view. The shop is owned by Fortress Locksmiths and protected by a suitably heavy duty security grill.
« back to history homepage next page »